Busy Daddy and Physical Therapist chronicles his efforts to stay fit and competitive and offers pearls of wisdom from his life in athletics and career in therapy and athletic training

Friday, May 28, 2010

More interval training

I was not looking forward to more interval training after doing my 800 meter repeats about a week ago, but I was pleasently surprised how much I enjoyed doing mile repeats.  I have a twisted sense of "enjoyment" I know.  My family thinks that I might be a little bit crazy (just a little?).  I set a personal goal before starting yesterday's training of completeing each mile in under 8 minutes.  I finished my first mile in 7:14 and jogged about a lap and a half for rest, grabbed a sip of powerade and logged my second mile in 7:17.  Feeling my gastro-soleus (lower calf) musculature tightening up I had fear that my third mile would be a real challenge.  I jogged about 2 laps and finished the third mile in 7:38.  I was very happy with my effort and level of fatigue (I crave soreness after a workout--again... just a little crazy?).
I am pretty happy with my how my training is going.  However, I have to get out of spin class and on to my bike.  It is in need of a tune-up, and I have been stalling for a while.  Writing about it will inspire me to take care of this issue.  And I am stating publically that I will be back in the pool starting in June.  I am still planning on doing well (not just finishing) in the sprint triathlon in August.  This event brings up a question that my wife posed to me; "where do you go to sign up for triathlons and running events?".  I most often visit http://www.active.com/ to register for various events.  There are other sites like http://www.gamultisports.com/ (GA events) and http://www.setupevents.com/ (NC, SC, VA events) that have more detail about various triathlons/duathlons.

1 comment: