Busy Daddy and Physical Therapist chronicles his efforts to stay fit and competitive and offers pearls of wisdom from his life in athletics and career in therapy and athletic training

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FEET!


I get questions all the time about over-the-counter inserts for athletic shoes, and also questions regarding what type of shoes to buy (the latter is a lengthy discussion for a future post).  Of course, I have a few favorite inserts and will discuss them at this point.  One of the web sites that I send a lot of athletes to is http://www.yoursole.com/.  I personally have a pair of the heat moldable inserts in my cycling shoes.  Both the Superfeet and Sole inserts have a deep heel cup and semi-rigid arch support.  The Sole inserts have the added benefit of being heat moldable in your oven at home.  Majority of the time, you get what you pay for.  There are cheaper inserts found at any Wal-Mart or pharmacy.  Both of the inserts I have mentioned range between $35-45, but custom orthotics carry a much heftier cost ($300-450).  In no way am I claiming that these inserts treat all foot deformities or severe over-pronation (plano-valgus feet), but they do assist with plantar fasciitis, posterior-tibialis dysfunction (sometimes diagnosed as "shin splints"), and mild over-pronation.  I also think it is important for athletes to have full length inserts in their running shoes or cleats.  I have seen 3/4 length inserts cause blisters, slip around in shoes, and just cause general discomfort.  I hope my experiences and tips are helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment