Busy Daddy and Physical Therapist chronicles his efforts to stay fit and competitive and offers pearls of wisdom from his life in athletics and career in therapy and athletic training

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chest and back

In the field of Physical Therapy, we often use the terms agonist and antagonist when discussing contrasting muscle actions.  Definition: The antagonist muscle opposes the agonist muscle during an exercise. For example, during the lifting phase of a biceps curl, the triceps muscles lengthen as the biceps contract, making the biceps the agonist and the triceps the antagonist.  I really enjoy setting up my workout sessions to work an antagonist immediately followed by the agonist or vice versa.  To simplify things for today's discussion, I like to work "pushers" with "pullers" or my chest and back on the same day.  I feel like this gives the body better balance to both the anterior (front) and posterior (back) portions.  Far to often, we step into the gym to work our mirror muscles neglecting those less visible.  The first combo that I will hit today is the standard bench press coupled with the reverse push-up (Smith machine).  The second combo will consist of inclined feet push-ups and pull-ups.  The third combo will consist of cable work--standing/alternating cable flys in combination with kneeling low reverse "X's".  The final combo will be made up of the swissball flys and standing high reverse "X's".  I'll conclude with some abdominal work and it will be complete.  I realized after spending some time on youtube that a lot of people are doing a few things right, but everything is not sound and safe either.  Therefore, I do understand a need to have this videoed and will look into it in the near future.  The final word on this workout involves resistance, sets, and reps.  I do not focus so much on how much weight I use but repping out until I reach volitional fatigue.  Volitional fatigue is the point in the set where you can't lift one more rep without cheating it up (using poor form).  I like doing at least 3 sets of everything and usually will do somewhere around 8-15 reps depending on level of difficulty.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment