Busy Daddy and Physical Therapist chronicles his efforts to stay fit and competitive and offers pearls of wisdom from his life in athletics and career in therapy and athletic training

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Man--cation

Continuing eduction is a part of my profession, and I am lucky enough to be on Hilton Head Island, SC.  The Cincinnati Sports Medicine group puts on an excellent course every year at this time.  I look forward to these opportunities for many reasons.  Sometimes the whole family comes with me, but it is usually just my wife and I who have a mini-vacation.  However, I am flying solo for this one.  I am able to catch up on much needed sleep, and get plenty of exercise.  Today, I was able to log a 6.5 mile run.  I did not focus on my pace, but instead had a goal to log my first long run of the summer.  It went well.  I stretched for 10-15 minutes following my jog, and then went to the hotel's gym.  It was minimal as far as space and equipment.  I was able to get a chest and back session in using some 55 pound dumbbells, a swissball, a 8 pound medicine ball, and a single-stack cable column. 
I used the cable column to do 1)  3 level (high, mid, low) pec cable cross...one arm at a time  2)  Immediately following each pec movement I performed the exact opposite movement working my back and really focusing on what my scapula (shld blade) was doing...the latest thing in sports medicine rehab is how important the muscles are that stabilize the scapula  3)  I did push-ups with my hands on the 8 pound medicine ball followed by close grip rows from the high position on the cable column 4)  I also did a bench press on the swiss ball followed by lat-pull downs
Two to three sets of all the above were performed and took me no longer than 30 minutes.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Tomorrow is the first day the North GA gym will be open. I'm going to use a mix of a couple of F.A.I.S.I. routines.

    ReplyDelete