Busy Daddy and Physical Therapist chronicles his efforts to stay fit and competitive and offers pearls of wisdom from his life in athletics and career in therapy and athletic training

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Coming Around to Yoga

Countless magazines (Bicycling, Runner's World, Triathlete) have touted the value of yoga for athletes.  As a Physical Therapist, I have known the importance of flexibility for over a decade.  However, personally, I have ignored yoga and its benefits.  This was true until about a year ago.  I finally stumbled onto the yoga DVD for endurance athletes.  My wife had been involved in yoga classes and even had a few DVD's at home that I had seen, but the workouts seemed too slow and unchallenging for me.  She swore that yoga improved her well being and flexibility, but I just found it boring.

I will admit that like my patients, I tend to neglect areas of my body until there is a small nagging injury that makes me focus on stretching.  Over the years, I have encountered plantar fasciitis, ilio-tibial band syndrome, and quadriceps/ hip flexor tightness that resulted in "squeaky" knees when climbing stairs at home.  So, I will be honest, when I truly adhere to my yoga practice (which is greater at times than others) I feel great.  My runs, bikes, swims, and weight workouts feel better.  I am more "in tune" with my body, better balanced, and, not to mention, injury free.  The best thing about this DVD is its interactive menu.  It allows you to design a series and customize your routine.  This enables me to get a yoga session in if I only have 10-20 minutes.

So, learn from my mistakes.  No matter how tough or fit you are-regardless of how much you can bench or squat, don't neglect your flexibility.  Your body will thank you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment