Busy Daddy and Physical Therapist chronicles his efforts to stay fit and competitive and offers pearls of wisdom from his life in athletics and career in therapy and athletic training

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lower extremity plyometrics

According to Wilkipedia, plyometrics is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports.  Wilkipedia goes on to better define it as a training method designed to produce a maximal muscle contraction in the shortest period of time.  A plyometric contraction involves first a rapid muscle lengthening movement (eccentric phase), followed by a short resting phase (amortization phase), then an explosive muscle shortening movement (concentric phase).  I have attempted to find a few good examples of such events.  This discussion leads into my workout session for today.  I will be doing a 30 minute elliptical warm-up (I prefer the Pre-cor with adjustable incline and do not use arm attachments in order to mimic running for the upper body).  I will do some quick dynamic stretches and move into lateral lunges holding a 45 lbs. plate at my chest alternating from right to left.  I will then move to step-up jumps holding a dumbell in the opposite hand of the leg I am working.  I will use about a 16-24 inch step.  I will progress to what I call alternating jump lunges while I hold a 25 lbs. plate at my chest.  I am then going to move to the plyo-burpee/ squat jumps using a standard flat bench.  I will finish up the leg session with single-leg calf raises off a step/ledge/ or other piece of gym equipment.








Plyometric Burpees -- powered by http://www.livestrong.com




2 comments:

  1. im ready for a low back blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did this program during a lunch break. Great stuff. I'm def. gonna have to work my way up to those burpee/push ups and the lunges with weight. Right now doing just body weight is hard enough. I subbed jump rope for calf raises too.

    ReplyDelete